I HAVE A GRINDING NOISE COMING FROM THE FRONT ...

1997 Nissan Altima

russboone

February, 23, 2013 AT 1:44 AM

I have a grinding noise coming from the front end of my Altima. I checked the rotors and they are fine. I checked the front wheels for wheel bearing play, but they seem solid. The grinding doesn't come while it is idling. It only comes when I am driving. It is not any worse when I apply the brakes, so I don't think it is a braking issue. It sounds like it is coming more from the middle of the front end rather than from either side. Do you know what it could be?

saturntech9

February, 23, 2013 AT 2:11 AM

Could be a bad wheel bearing even though you don't feel any play. Do you have a jack and jack stands?

homer1967

February, 23, 2013 AT 2:14 AM

Does the noise change when you turn left or right around 45 miles per hour?

russboone

February, 25, 2013 AT 5:55 PM

I do have a jack and jack stands. I don't notice any change in noise while going around a corner.

homer1967

February, 26, 2013 AT 1:07 AM

I would take it to a capable shop. Noises and especially front ent noises can travel from great distances and be very deceiving and hard to locate.

saturntech9

February, 26, 2013 AT 4:14 AM

Get the front wheels off the ground with the front suoported by jack stands. Then with the car in neutral put one hand on the coil spring and use your other hand to spin the wheel as fast as you can. If you have a bad wheel bearing you should be able to feel it in coil spring. Compare each side to each other.

Sway Bar Link Replacement Chevrolet Silverado
Upper Control Arm Replacement
Lower Control Arm Bushing Replacement Honda
Replace Tie Rod End