TRANSMISSION NOISE

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse

arod32007

March, 11, 2012 AT 1:10 AM

I am having a scrapping noise coming from the transmission, I have a manual transmission and when I press in on the clutch the sound completely goes away. I have drivin the car and have been able to shift gears with no isssue. While the car is in Neutral and foot off the clutch I can hear a grinding noise like metal on metal, the sound is similar to resurfacing rotors on a car, I and good with cars and know my way around it, but im trying to figure where to start and anticipate what it may be. Everyone has been telling me it is the throw out bearing, I hope it is cause that should be a moderate fix for me. If you have any other thaughts please let me know. Thank you

hmac300

March, 11, 2012 AT 1:40 PM

It probably is but you'll probably need a clutch to go with it.

March, 11, 2012 AT 8:57 PM

If the throw-out bearing is bad, the noise would increase when the clutch pedal is depressed and goes away when released.

Have you checked the fluid level?

If the noise sounds slightly like a soft rattle, I would suspect a slightly worn mainshaft bearing.

arod32007

March, 11, 2012 AT 9:03 PM

Havent checked the fluid yet but if I leave the car on for more then 5 minutes you can smell a burning smell. Its a grinding squeaking sound. Like and animal dieing. Lol

March, 12, 2012 AT 12:22 PM

TRy to find out where the noise ie coming from, transmission or crank pulley end.

Burning smell could be oil ghetting to the exhaust or plastic materials getting stuck to the exhaust system.

You should be able to locate the source of the noise.

arod32007

March, 13, 2012 AT 5:21 PM

Ok so I dropped the tranny and the release bearing wasnt so bad the splines showed wear but when I drained the tranny only about a 3/4 of a quart was drained. I did also notice fluid may be leaking. Im going to also replace axel seals while down there. Can low fluid cause the tranny to make the rubbing sound though?

March, 14, 2012 AT 4:33 PM

I mentioned checking the fluid level. Low fluid level can cause noise emission from the transmission as the gears and bearings are not getting sufficient lubrication.

Seens plenty of these occurring and most probably you would need to replace the mainshaft and counter shafts bearings.

hmac300

March, 14, 2012 AT 7:01 PM

You ought to take teh trans apart and look for aproblem it sure sounds like a bearing problem being low on fluid. I aggree with kh

Automatic Transmission Service
Transmission Fluid Replacement Mercedes Benz
Transmission Drain and Refill Kia Sportage
Transmission Service Ford Super Duty F-250
Transmission Service Toyota Tacoma
Transmission Speed Sensor Replacement Honda