I JUST BOUGHT A USED ECLIPSE 5 SPEED

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse

ericdangerpitts

November, 1, 2012 AT 7:55 PM

I just bought a used Eclipse 5 speed. It is really hard to get it into 2nd and reverse, all other gears worked fine drove car for over 2 hours no problem. Now today took it out, same thing until about 5 minutes into the drive I stopped and tried to go in reverse with no luck now the only gear it will shift into is second, it's like I can't find the groves for gears, also I would have to say I had to do an awful lot of movement to shift gears (lots of throw) gs model
thanx!

ericdangerpitts

November, 1, 2012 AT 7:59 PM

Recent rebuild, not done by me! Also only has maybe 500 miles on it.

caradiodoc

November, 2, 2012 AT 12:29 AM

What was rebuilt, engine or transmission? Given the changing symptoms, and the history, I think I'd be looking at the shifter linkages and cables to see if something is loose. For cables, you'll need to have a helper move the shift lever while you watch the cables under the hood. Look for a loose lever on the transmission and for an outer casing around a cable that is loose under its attaching bracket.

Transmission Drain and Refill Kia Sportage
Transmission Service Ford Super Duty F-250
Automatic Transmission Service
Transmission Fluid Replacement Mercedes Benz
Transmission Service Toyota Tacoma