ENGINE PROBLEMS? 97

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse

daveyarnold

May, 29, 2011 AT 9:28 PM

I have a 97 eclipse with 221000 miles everything has been taken care of for the most part but the oil sending unit started to leak and it sat for a while(i did not drive it at all) I bought the new sending unit and changed the oil plus added a quart of lucas. Later that day it had a very slight knock but only when I hit over 4000rpms. So for almost a week I drove it under 4000 rpms and then one morning it was doing the same thing untill I was driving home and I was in 4th gear and the oil light came on and I lost all aceleration and white smoke blew out the back of the car. I had it towed home and then I tried to start it after I filled it with oil again and it turned over and ran but after about 30 seconds to a min it shut down again. What could be wrong?

hmac300

May, 30, 2011 AT 12:41 AM

You may have an oil pressure problem that is having hte sending unit cut your fuel supply off. If you have a knock plus with the white smoke you may have blown a head gasket. It's best to have apro look at it and give his opinion.

Crankshaft Position Sensor Replace Chevrolet
Crank Angle Sensor Replacement Mercedes Benz
Fuel Pump Replacement