WHY DOES MY CAR RANDOMLY SHUT OFF WHILE DRIVING? AS IF I JUST TURNED THE KEY OFF?

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse

iowaoutlaw

May, 25, 2012 AT 1:03 AM

It has happened a few times now, and is recent. Never have had this issue before. I was driving and suddenly the car just shut off. I pulled off to the side of the road, and tried starting it again, nothing. No fire. I couldn't tell if it was lacking fuel or spark. Check engine light has been on with no real driving issues, got the code reader out and it said I need a new rear o2 sensor. I bought the car with out it and its driven me all over the place till now. I take good care of my eclipse I dont beat on it. One thing I have noticed was the idle is a little bit high sits at about 1100. One one freak event I watched the idle bounce but it hasnt done that since. Please please help me at least put me in the right direction.

Thanks!
chris

May, 25, 2012 AT 1:07 AM

I would look at the distributor as it is a common failure.

Look at the fuel pressure as well to verify the pump.

iowaoutlaw

May, 25, 2012 AT 9:59 AM

My 97 is run off a coil. Not so much a distributor. But thank you for the advice hopefully I can get my baby back on the road

anthony taylor

July, 10, 2012 AT 10:36 PM

Check the crankshaft position sensor on the back passenger side of the engine.

djcl

July, 10, 2012 AT 11:05 PM

Have you rechecked for codes since the stalling?

GM Key Fob Programming
Battery Replacement Guide
Battery Replacement Honda Civic 2006-2011
Battery Replacement
Battery Replacement Ford Escape 2000-2006
Battery Replacement Ford Contour 1996-2000