WHY DOES MY CAR RANDOMLY SHUT OFF WHILE DRIVING? AS IF I JUST TURNED THE KEY OFF?

• iowaoutlaw
  • 1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse

It has happened a few times now, and is recent. Never have had this issue before. I was driving and suddenly the car just shut off. I pulled off to the side of the road, and tried starting it again, nothing. No fire. I couldn't tell if it was lacking fuel or spark. Check engine light has been on with no real driving issues, got the code reader out and it said I need a new rear o2 sensor. I bought the car with out it and its driven me all over the place till now. I take good care of my eclipse I dont beat on it. One thing I have noticed was the idle is a little bit high sits at about 1100. One one freak event I watched the idle bounce but it hasnt done that since. Please please help me at least put me in the right direction.

Thanks!
chris

Friday, May 25th, 2012 AT 1:03 AM

• ASEMaster6371

I would look at the distributor as it is a common failure.

Look at the fuel pressure as well to verify the pump.

Friday, May 25th, 2012 AT 1:07 AM
  • iowaoutlaw

My 97 is run off a coil. Not so much a distributor. But thank you for the advice hopefully I can get my baby back on the road

Friday, May 25th, 2012 AT 9:59 AM
  • anthony taylor

Check the crankshaft position sensor on the back passenger side of the engine.

Tuesday, July 10th, 2012 AT 10:36 PM
  • djcl
  • 786 posts

Have you rechecked for codes since the stalling?

Tuesday, July 10th, 2012 AT 11:05 PM