TRANSMISSION QUESTION

• omalyk
  • 1997 Mitsubishi Diamante

Hello
I was just wondering if u know if a Mitsubishi diamanté 1997 transmission would fit with a 2000 transmission?
Thank you

Saturday, September 1st, 2012 AT 5:40 PM

• KHLow2008

They belong to the same model group so should be compatible. You need to match the transmission codes to be sure.

Saturday, September 1st, 2012 AT 5:59 PM
  • omalyk

Where do I look for the transmission code?
Thank you

Saturday, September 1st, 2012 AT 6:01 PM
  • KHLow2008

On top of transmission housing near the front of transmission you would see a level location with F4A51 and on another line there would be the serial number.

If you are thinking of a used transmission, not a really good idea. The transmission is more than 15 years old and sealing rings goes bad when they ages. Storage is another factor that can result in failure of used transmission.

Saturday, September 1st, 2012 AT 6:11 PM
  • omalyk

Okay thank you
Yes the car that I drive had a rebuilt transmission and stood for a few years after and now the trans is acting up, switching wrong. I was thinking of switching with another car the 2000 year it has been standing for a while to.

Saturday, September 1st, 2012 AT 6:47 PM
  • KHLow2008

Quite often erratic shifting are due to faults with the valve body solenoids. Check to see if you have any trouble codes. You can try an easier way by just swapping the valve body to test if it works.

Saturday, September 1st, 2012 AT 7:07 PM
  • omalyk

Hello
There is no check engine and I checked there is no codes. When the car is in park and I switch to drive it takes like a. One two three four and then it goes into drive gear. Same with reverse but a lil faster. It never did that before. That started happening after it stood for a few years

Saturday, September 1st, 2012 AT 7:37 PM
  • KHLow2008

Yes, common if it has stood for a while. Try driving aound for a while to see if problem goes away. Do not attempt hard driving.

If it does not go away, you would need a new trans or a rebuild.

Saturday, September 1st, 2012 AT 8:07 PM
  • omalyk

I did already drive for a while. Still happening. I guess I need a new trans.
Thank you

Saturday, September 1st, 2012 AT 8:18 PM
  • KHLow2008

You're are welcome.

Saturday, September 1st, 2012 AT 8:27 PM
  • omalyk

Oh yes one more thing. When I get low rpm the car dies. It happened barely before now it happens more often. And it started switching worse. Does the car dieing have to do with the tranny or it something else. Because when I make a complete stop. The car is about to die but then I can feel/ hear the gears change to low and then the car is working fine then. Idling good. Is that a trans fault yea?

Saturday, September 1st, 2012 AT 8:32 PM