CAR RUNS OUT OF GAS AT 1/2 TANK

• ednamariemarquitz
  • 1997 Mercury Tracer
  • 100 miles

Car runs out of gas at 1/2 tank. When I fill it up it only holds 7 gallons. Also has an occasional run idle.

Sunday, March 25th, 2012 AT 12:11 PM

• rasmataz

Have the fuel sending unit checked-start here

Sunday, March 25th, 2012 AT 12:25 PM
  • djcl
  • 786 posts

Have you had a fuel pump or work done recently that involves fuel tank or sender removal? If so remove the sender and check to see if it has full travel and if the fuel pick up is in the correct location bottom of the tank. Let me know how this works out.

Sunday, March 25th, 2012 AT 12:56 PM
  • ednamariemarquitz

That was rough idle. I meant. And I just bought the car so I am not sure. But I am planning to have the tank dropped to check it out thanks

Tuesday, March 27th, 2012 AT 3:20 AM
  • djcl
  • 786 posts

No problem let me know how it works out.

Tuesday, March 27th, 2012 AT 5:30 AM
  • SonjaS

My '97 Tracer started doing the same thing around 125k. Same problem: appeared to be using more gas but took only a few gallons to fill up. By chance, I was at Auto Zone for something else when the sales guy asked if I ever had my car hooked up for a computer read out. He kindly did this for free and I discovered the problem is with my tank meter. Happy to know this old car still gets good gas mileage at 145k. Reading around, the rough idle, near dying, or dying is most likely a worn vacuum line. Both problems are just basic wear and tear everyone experiences. It's a great car.

Wednesday, May 30th, 2012 AT 7:00 PM