CAR SEEMS TO BE STALLING AND CHUGGING SMELLS BAD...

1997 Mercury Sable

Sskomra

February, 4, 2013 AT 8:41 PM

Car seems to be stalling and "chugging" smells bad and brakes And steering whell will lock up and car will shut off"

Jacobandnickolas

February, 4, 2013 AT 8:54 PM

It is normal to lose power assist to the brakes and steering when the engine stalls. Is the check engine light on? Does it smell like rotten eggs?

Sskomra

February, 4, 2013 AT 10:28 PM

Engine light has been on since I bought it. No rotten egg smell, smells and sounds like a motorcycle. Could it be because I'm below a half tank of gas?

Jacobandnickolas

February, 5, 2013 AT 1:56 AM

No, the fuel level shouldn't have an affect. It almost sounds like the catalytic converter is plugged. Have you checked that?

Sskomra

February, 5, 2013 AT 2:20 AM

What's that? How do I check it?

Jacobandnickolas

February, 6, 2013 AT 1:56 AM

The catalytic converter is part of the exhaust system and is an emissions component. It is square and usually closer to the engine. Check to see if it is getting red hot when the engine warms up. If it is, chances are it is plugged. Also, you may have to have the back pressure tested to see if it is plugged.

Brake Shoe/Drum Replacement - Rear
Brake Light Bulb Replacement Subaru Legacy
Brake Pads and Rotor Replacement - Front