The battery keeps draining

Tiny
CSTAFF25
  • MEMBER
  • 1997 MERCURY COUGAR
  • 125,000 MILES
The battery keeps draining. I have measured the key-off pull and it is only.15 ma. I am not an expert in electrical stuff, but I don't think that is enough to have to worry about. Since it keeps draining I went ahead and did a "fuse pull" test. After I pullled every fuse there was no significant drop. Whenever I do start the car it seems to have barely any power -> I can press the gas but it spits and sputters for a few seconds and then starts working fine. The battery drain is more important for now, I just didn't know if the latter part was relevant to that problem.
Do you
have the same problem?
Yes
No
Tuesday, October 30th, 2012 AT 8:15 PM

9 Replies

Tiny
SATURNTECH9
  • EXPERT
So at idle what is the battery voltage reading at the battery?
Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
Tuesday, October 30th, 2012 AT 8:20 PM
Tiny
CSTAFF25
  • MEMBER
14.71v
Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
Tuesday, October 30th, 2012 AT 8:25 PM
Tiny
SATURNTECH9
  • EXPERT
Have you had the battery tested yet?
Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
Tuesday, October 30th, 2012 AT 9:11 PM
Tiny
CSTAFF25
  • MEMBER
Yes the battery is good
Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
Tuesday, October 30th, 2012 AT 9:18 PM
Tiny
SATURNTECH9
  • EXPERT
I have seen batterys self discharge and load test good ethier something is draining the battery or its just not holding a charge. Try this after your done running the car remove the the negative battery cable over night and then when you go to start it hook the cable back up and see if the battery is drained?ALso please do the draw test with the test light like I posted.
Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
Tuesday, October 30th, 2012 AT 10:22 PM
Tiny
CSTAFF25
  • MEMBER
Ok I will try these things, thanks. Also, I know the battery is losing about.16v every 1.5-2 hours.I tested this yesterday
Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
Tuesday, October 30th, 2012 AT 10:28 PM
Tiny
SATURNTECH9
  • EXPERT
Alright keep me posted.
Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
Tuesday, October 30th, 2012 AT 11:15 PM
Tiny
CSTAFF25
  • MEMBER
Turned out to be a dome light left on and bad terminals. Thanks for your help.
Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
Thursday, November 8th, 2012 AT 5:54 PM
Tiny
SATURNTECH9
  • EXPERT
Your welcome thats what were here for.
Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
Thursday, November 8th, 2012 AT 6:10 PM

Please login or register to post a reply.

Recommended Guides