1997 Benz E420 not starting

PETERWOO
  • 1997 MERCEDES BENZ E420
The car cranks, but did not start. It has neither ignition spark nor fuel injection signal. The check engine light flashes at 2 cycles per second as soon as the key is at the on position. After a few hours the check engine light does not flash any longer, and then everything is back to normal. The problem can reoccur the next day or a month later. I don't think it is a crank position sensor issue, but I changed it anyway. It did not solve the problem. Please help.
Sunday, February 6th, 2011 AT 6:13 AM

MHPAUTOS
The first thing you will have to do is get a suitable scanner and read the exact set fault code, we do need this code as an OBD code it will be displayed as a P****. Let me know what the code is for further advice.

Sunday, February 6th, 2011 AT 11:14 AM
PETERWOO
1997 Benz E420, I turn the key on then the check engine light starts blinking, while it is blinking the car won't start. The engine cranks but doesn't start. If I turn the key on and the light is not blinking, then it starts right up and runs like a champ. It has no trouble code in OBDII memory.A snap on scanner was used to read. My understanding when check engine light flashes, it indicates a fault in the engine controls severe enough to damage the catalytic converters. Usally this is an engine misfire condition. If this is the case, my questions are: 1. Can this condition cause the ECM to command a shut down mode (neither ignition spark nor fuel injection signal). 2 How can the ECM detect this condition without being in running mode (check Engine light flashes as soon as the key in on position). Because of all of these, I was thinking could the problem be the ECM itself. Please advise. Thank You

Asked by peterwoo
Sunday, February 6th, 2011 AT 7:20 PM
MHPAUTOS
I do agree, my first thoughts with this is a ECU internal problem, the ECU can be bench tested, I would start here if only to eliminate this as the problem.

Sunday, February 6th, 2011 AT 10:53 PM