ENGINE CRANKS BUT WON'T START

1997 Lincoln Mark VIII

carrie.smith

October, 30, 2010 AT 5:47 PM

1997 Lincoln Mark VIII V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 100000 miles

My Lincoln Mark VIII is cranking but the engine doesn't start. I've been told it may possibly be the ignition module.

November, 2, 2010 AT 2:49 AM

Cranks but no start condition-do below to determine whether it's fuel or spark related issue: Get a helper disconnect a sparkplug wire or 2 and ground it to the engine at least 3/16 away from ground -have helper crank engine over-do you have a snapping blue spark? If so-you have a fuel related problem, Do you hear the fuel pump come On when you turn key on? If not check fuel pump fuse and fuel pump relay if so, check the fuel pressure to rule out the fuel filter/fuel pump/pressure regulator and listen to the injector/s are they pulsing or hook up a noid light. No snapping blue spark continue to troubleshoot the ignition system-power input to the coil/coil packs, coil's resistances, distributor pick-up coil, ignition control module, cam and crank sensors and computer Note: If it doesn't apply disregard it.

mrben

December, 3, 2011 AT 7:29 PM

Where is the ignition control module at on a 1997 lincoln mark

rivermikerat

December, 5, 2011 AT 1:24 AM

It's part of the powertrain control module which is located behind the left side of the dash.

Is it getting spark? Check fuel pressure.

2 slow 4 U

June, 12, 2013 AT 3:26 PM

I had this exact problem this morning, and it turned out that the ECM would not allow the engine to start as there wasn't enough fuel in the tank. I had a tune-up done a month ago, so spark was not on the menu.

After pulling my hair out for 2 hours, I poured 5 gallons into the tank, and it started instantly.

HTH.

Crank Angle Sensor Replacement Mercedes Benz
Crankshaft Position Sensor Replace Chevrolet
Fuel Pump Replacement
Fuel Pump Replacement Done Right
Fuel Pump Test Chevy Tahoe