BACKFIRES EVERY NOW AND THEN

1997 Land Rover Discovery

discoverylover

September, 22, 2011 AT 3:19 AM

Hi Guys my discovery - It is a LOUD BANG and then everything turns off. What causes this? This is the second time in 3 months. Both times after I filled up and on LPG only. There is a crack in the LPG tank cap and sometimes water gets into it. I usually blow it and wipe it off. Both times where I didn't do so it has backfired with a LOUD BANG and then turned off. Can this be causing something?

This time the BANG was so big that all the hoses from the throttle Body and even the intake boot had all come off. Of course I didn't realize straight away only when the car would start but stall at Idle. So I went checking and couldn't believe what I saw.

(Also how do I make a donation? Can I use paypal? As I will using this service a fair bit. At the bottom of the page there is only the option to select it but doesnt do anything)

rivermikerat

September, 22, 2011 AT 6:43 AM

I would replace the LPG cap. I would say that there is a correlation between the filling up and the water causing the bang, but I'm not sure what is causing it. Usually a backfire through the intake is caused by the spark plug firing before the intake valve is fully closed.

I referred your question to someone that can help you with the donation process.

discoverylover

September, 23, 2011 AT 12:15 AM

Thank very much.

rivermikerat

September, 30, 2011 AT 9:38 PM

Were you able to resolve this issue?

Fuel Pump Replacement Done Right
Mass Air Flow Sensor Clean Ford Explorer 1995
Fuel Pump Replacement
Fuel Pump Pressure Test