BAD ALTERNATOR AFTER GETTING A NEW ONE 6 MONTHS AGO

1997 Infiniti I30

melodyjsanders

August, 9, 2012 AT 9:25 PM

I had my alternator changed back in Feb. I also purchased a new battery at that time. Now the brake and battery lights are flicking off and on, usually when im on the freeway going about 60mph. I went to Auto Zone to have them test the battery and the alternator, my battery is good but the alternator is going bad. Can an oil leak cause the alternator to go bad? I have had a oil leak for a while and im wondering if that is why my alternator would be going bad after 6 months.

Within the last week my car has also began to idle high and it seems to not want to shift when I pick up speed. Why? Im just so frustrated with this vehicle.

caradiodoc

August, 9, 2012 AT 9:41 PM

There's numerous ways a generator can fail and an oil leak is a possible cause if it's bad enough. If the oil runs inside it can deteriorate the brushes which will result in intermittent operation before it fails completely.

DKoz

September, 20, 2012 AT 3:11 AM

Where did you buy the alternator. Have them check it again. If alt went bad the should give you another for free. No pickup or hesitation might be the Mass air Sensor. Throttle position sensor. Again check the codes

Alternator testing done right
Alternator Replacement Ford Super Duty
Alternator Replacement Chevrolet Silverado
Serpentine Belt Replacement Chevrolet Tahoe