ABS LIGHT COMES ON WHEN PARKING BRAKE APPLIED

1997 Infiniti I30

bkpbest

January, 29, 2012 AT 3:14 AM

couple of odd things going on with the brakes:
1) if you apply the parking brake the abs light comes on

2) have low pedal, but if you pump it up it gets firm. The master cylinder diagnosis was good, so its not that.

3) abs light has come on but when you restart car it goes off, than a couple of days later will come on again; and yet again go off.

there are no leaks, system was properly bleed and pads are excellent.
please tell me how to fix this stuff before I dump a bunch of money in without it fixing anything.

just wondering why a infiniti dealer would charge $289 for a lower ball joint, thats just the part! Its less than $30 at any auto parts store.

January, 29, 2012 AT 4:27 AM

My suggestion is have the computer scanned for code/s and inspect all the wheel sensors-If you have to pump brakes to have a firm brakes, best double check the brake master cylinder for internal leakage-

January, 29, 2012 AT 10:01 AM

Dealer prices are always very much higher than others. Aftermarket replacement, OEM and factory parts are of different quality and costings.

bkpbest

February, 2, 2012 AT 2:47 AM

Ok. So we have put a new master cylnder in and benched bleed it. Result is nothing different. All that is left is the calipers but the car doesn't pull to the side nor is there uneven wear on pads. Two mechanics are baffeled by this. There think about dismantle entire system to figure it out

February, 2, 2012 AT 11:46 AM

Did you get the codes for the ABS indicator light turning on?

When doing bleeding, are all four wheel fluid pressure good?

bkpbest

February, 3, 2012 AT 1:40 AM

So the mechanic took the braking system apart. 4 calipers were frozen! He fixed all 4 of them and now the braking is great! Abs light still came on for a moment, he is going to look more into that next week.

February, 3, 2012 AT 11:17 AM

If there is any fault with the ABS, the indicator would normally stay on. Trouble codes would be stored in the ABS computer and you need to retrieve the trouble codes to find out which component/section has a fault.

After repairs, there are times the indicator would come on and goes off intermittently. After some driving, the light would go away.

If the light is only intermittent, it most probably is a fault with the relay inside the ABS unit.

ABS Computer Replacement
Brake Light Bulb Replacement Mercedes Benz