97 INFINITY WONT CRANK OVER SOMETIMES.

1997 Infiniti I30

donlie

March, 8, 2012 AT 12:44 AM

But will sometimes start up with a jump. Starts fine up to ten times then shut it off and try it again a few minutes later and nothing at all. Tried it in neutral and park. Battery good.

March, 8, 2012 AT 12:45 AM

Have the starter motor checked. It may have a dead spot in the armature.

saturntech9

March, 8, 2012 AT 12:48 AM

So you had the alternator and battery tested?Also made sure the battery cables are clean and tight?Do you a multimeter to do some testing?

donlie

March, 8, 2012 AT 1:15 AM

I was guessing possibly the starter. When it does it, would hitting it with a hammer be a way of checking it? I do have voltmeters. Should I test it for resistance and what should it be?

donlie

March, 8, 2012 AT 1:18 AM

I just got done replacing a shift solenoid in the trans of a saturn today which I had to check with a meter. Similar?

saturntech9

March, 8, 2012 AT 1:23 AM

Yes you can try hitting it with a hammer while the key is in the start position. Also you can see if the small trigger wire has power at the starter while the key is in the start position.

donlie

March, 8, 2012 AT 1:44 AM

Ok thankyou. I'll check it out next time it messes up. (Probably tomorrow)

saturntech9

March, 8, 2012 AT 1:47 AM

Alright keep me posted.

donlie

March, 20, 2012 AT 3:24 AM

Thankyou for your advice. The starter was smoked. Now I'm trying to find out why the security light is always flashing except when the doors are locked-then solid red

Starter Motor Replacement Ford Mustang
Battery Replacement Guide
Starter Replacement
Battery Replacement Honda Civic 2006-2011