ANY COOLING SYSTEM ADVICE

1997 Hyundai Tiburon

MichaelSmithey

July, 22, 2012 AT 8:04 PM

Okay ive got a 2.0 engine and its been overheating ive changed everything from thermostat upper and lower thermostat gaskets, radiator cap, and bad hoses. Took it to my mechanic and had water pump put in, new belts "just in case". He says getting good flow through radiator, heating core doesn't look bad, fans are working and head gasket doesn't seem to be blown. What else could the problem be , should I just give up and buy a new car

July, 22, 2012 AT 8:11 PM

Have a leak down test done to confirm a head gasket. Start there as you have a continious overheating issue

MichaelSmithey

July, 22, 2012 AT 8:22 PM

If it were a head gasket wouldn't I be loosing coolant or oil be in coolant or the the other way around, and also no white smoke from tail pipe

July, 22, 2012 AT 8:23 PM

Does not have to smoke to have a bad gasket.

Thats why you need to eliminate this possibility.

MichaelSmithey

July, 22, 2012 AT 8:39 PM

Say I go buy pressure check system and it doesn't hold how do Ifind out if it is the gasket

July, 23, 2012 AT 12:31 AM

Unless you have the tool, you cannot. It is cheaper to have a shop do this test for you.

MichaelSmithey

July, 23, 2012 AT 5:31 AM

So my mechanic is now stumped he has pressure checked the whole system no leaks or loss of pressure he replaced the water pump although it was good, replaced the thermastat I already replaced and took the silicone that auto zone said to use off and replaced that also. He said the heater core was strong no blockage there. The fans and radiator are working. He also said the radiator might not be flowing good enough to keep the car cool that I should get a new radiator. Do you agree or am I just spending more unnecessarily money. PS He also used a heat gun and said all parts off the engine were hot no cool spots

MichaelSmithey

July, 23, 2012 AT 5:50 AM

Ohh by the way auto zone has pressure checking tool as a loner tool its 75 to get and you get all the money back, just in case one of your other customers had any questions about that. Thanks for the help guys

July, 23, 2012 AT 12:19 PM

Assuming the leak down test is ok, then I would pull the radiator and send it to a radiator shop and have it flow tested to verify.

Was this just a pressure tester or an actual tester that injected shop air and watch for bubbles in each cylinder?

MichaelSmithey

July, 24, 2012 AT 6:03 AM

When I mentioned pressure checking it he said I already did that then said something about blowing air into the system so im not sure but hes been certified for over 20 years so Iwould assume he did that he also said he'd put down money that it wasn't a head gasket. Im ordering a radiator tonight so Igot my fingers crossed. Thanks for the help

Thermostat Replacement Chevrolet Blazer
Thermostat Replacement Mercedes Benz C230
Thermostat Replacement Chrysler PT Cruiser
Upper and Lower Radiator Hose Replacement