SEPT 2012 I REPLACED THE TIMING BELT AND SPARK ...

1997 Honda Accord

Krofchik

December, 21, 2012 AT 1:52 PM

Sept 2012: I replaced the timing belt and spark plugs at 185000. Dealer recommended replacing distributor. The car seems to be running fine since (purrs like a kitty) except my gas mileage has taken a dive.

Prior to the above service, I was getting 27-30 mpg driving mostly highway miles. The mpg in subsequent fill-ups has steadily fallen. At the most fill-up (12/17/12), my mpg was 22! Granted, it is winter and I need to "warm-up" the car on really cold mornings, but in the past that didn't impact the mpg as greatly.

Any advice would be appreciated.

December, 21, 2012 AT 2:56 PM

I reccomend it too. They are common failures that will just drop out.

December, 21, 2012 AT 4:25 PM

Have the ignition timing rechecked.
Mostly the part that fails is the ignition coil and replacing that should do unless you have oil leakages within which requires the oil seal to be replaced as well.

Krofchik

December, 28, 2012 AT 6:22 AM

The tech did note a leak on the diagnostic sheet with the 20-point inspection stuff on it.

Anyway, the check engine light just came on. Could this be related to the distributor issue?

Thanks again.

December, 28, 2012 AT 12:53 PM

Get a scan to retrieve the trouble code and let us know what it is. It could be anything related to the engine control system.

Krofchik

The tech pulled a P0420 code. The sales dude suggested replacing the O2 sensors and possibly the catalytic convertor.

Sales dude? Did he do any diagnostics apart from retrieving the codes?
I would not jump to conclusion and start replacing components without any diagnostics to confirm the cause of the problem.

DTC P0420 : CATALYTIC SYSTEM EFFICIENCY BELOW THRESHOLD

NOTE: If DTCs P0136, P0137, P0138, P0139 and/or P0141 are set, trouble shoot those DTCs before trouble shooting DTC P0420.

Perform PCM reset procedure. Start engine and run at 3000 RPM with no loads and transmission in Park or Neutral, until radiator fan comes on. Allow engine to idle. Connect SCS service connector. Test drive vehicle at 40-55 MPH for approximately 2 minutes. Decelerate
for at least 3 seconds with throttle fully closed. Reduce vehicle speed to 35 MPH, and hold it there until readiness code comes on. If DTC P0420 is not indicated, problem is intermittent, system is okay at this time. If DTC P0420 is indicated, inspect Warm-Up Three Way Catalytic converter (TWC), if equipped and/or Three-Way Catalytic Converter (TWC) for plugging, melting, cracking, exhaust system leaks. Repair or
replace as necessary.

Krofchik

They seemed to do diagnostics. They had the car for 90 minutes and did a "road test".

Did not talk directly to the tech, but the guy that runs the desk.

At this point, we are planning on getting it smogged and then put up for sale. What do you think are the chances of passing?

If the code is there, not likely you are going to pass the smog test as this problem is emission related.

Step by Step Timing Belt Replacement Guide
Serpentine Belt Replacement Saturn Vue
Serpentine Belt Replacement Chevrolet Tahoe
Serpentine Belt Replacement Chevy 1500
Serpentine Belt Replacement Ford Contour
Serpentine Belt Replacement Acura MDX
Serpentine Belt Replacement Chevrolet