CAR JERKS WHEN ACCELERATING AND SHAKES HAS MINOR SUDDEN SHAKES WHEN AT A RED LIGHT, HOW CAN I FIX THIS?

1997 Honda Accord

roe623

February, 29, 2012 AT 11:20 PM

When changing the seals of the motor where the spark plugs go, my dad took the valves off to put on the new seals, one of the 4 bolts that holds the motor valves down broke off, and half of the bolt is stuck. So I dont know if this is contributing to the problem of shaking while stopped or jerking while accelerating? Please help.

roe623

February, 29, 2012 AT 11:22 PM

I ment to put "Car Jerks When Accelerating And Has Minor Sudden shakes At A Red Light, How Can I Fix This?

fixitmr

March, 1, 2012 AT 12:29 AM

You mean valve cover? Did bolt break takin off or puttin on?

roe623

March, 1, 2012 AT 12:38 AM

Putting it on it broke when my dad was trying to put the proper pressure.

roe623

March, 1, 2012 AT 1:11 AM

Here is more info my dad was replacing the cam seals, because the sparkplugs had a leak. One of the top screws from the cam cage broke off. The screw is in the center of the assembly.

roe623

March, 1, 2012 AT 1:42 AM

Bolt 11 and 10 broke off. Will this affect the performance of the car.

fixitmr

March, 1, 2012 AT 3:26 AM

You mean he replaced valve STEM seals? And it should be fairly easy to replace the broken bolts.

fixitmr

March, 1, 2012 AT 7:16 AM

Or are you referring to camshaft oil seals? In any case the problem may be related to something not put back right in the reassembly of external parts/hoses/wires.

roe623

March, 1, 2012 AT 7:28 AM

We took it to a mechanic and he adjusted the valves and everything, the car runs, but the bolts where never taken out and replaced. So I don't know if that's why the car jerks when accelerating or shakes when at a red light.

fixitmr

March, 1, 2012 AT 8:04 AM

It's not a good thing as both those bolts seem like they are on the same end and the same side of cam. But those are not very good drawings so who knows? If something were amiss there I would expect cam to break or at least make noises. I take it ran just fine before this was done?

roe623

March, 1, 2012 AT 5:53 PM

Okay I circled the areas where the bolts are broken. Besides this is there anything I can do to make the jerking while accelerating stop. Motor oil, transmission fluid, spark plugs, and filter have been changed. It also shakes when at a red light.