MY97 DIES WHEN I STOP AT A RED LIGHT WHEN ITS STILL COLD

1997 Geo Prizm

vender2sale

November, 1, 2011 AT 7:04 PM

A shop did a diagnostic, so I replaced the distributor, rotor and cap, still doing the same thing, when I start the car, after 5 or 6 minutes, the iddle goes so low, that the car dies, starts up again, if I switch gears from P to D it dies, if I DRIVE THE CAR if I stop then it dies again, only does about 6 or 7 times, affter that will not do that again, for the rest of the day, looks like it is fine, and then the next day, the same story. I replaced the fuel filter also. I already spent money on this car and is not fixed. Thanks for your help.

Cj Stalling When Idling

Stalling Out

November, 1, 2011 AT 8:34 PM

Try cleaning out the idle air control valve ansd see what happens

vender2sale

November, 2, 2011 AT 2:17 AM

I will try that next weekend, I hope it works, Thanks

vender2sale

November, 5, 2011 AT 6:42 PM

I took the IAC valve apart, cleaned very well, but the car still died after 5 minutes of driving when I stopped the car at a stop sign or when I shift gears, and it is very hard to start it again.T s so frustrating, and also the iddle is so high when I just start that car, is a 97 geo prizm, thank for any help.

November, 5, 2011 AT 9:02 PM

Check the fuel pressure if its within specs and also look for vacuum leaks and test the throttle position sensor and clean out the EGR valve

vender2sale

November, 6, 2011 AT 6:54 PM

Thanks for your help, the weird thing is that only happens the first time that I start the car, and always, always after 5 0r 6 minutes after I am driving, when I stop at a stop sign, it dies 2 or 3 times, is so hard to start it again, and then for the rest of the day, it drives perfectly, iddles very good and drives very powerful. In streets and also in highways, it makes me thing that the problem is gone, after the next day, when it repeats itself. Thanks for your help