WHEN I DRIVE ANY LONG DISTANCE AND THE ENGINE IS...

1997 Ford Taurus

bluedogconesus

October, 23, 2012 AT 7:18 PM

When I drive any long distance and the engine is warm or hot and turn off the engine it will not turn over or does so very slowly. It is like the battery is dead, however once the engine cools down or the next morning the car starts fine, there is a little delay but it starts. I have noticed a white powder substance on the positive cable and have cleaned it a few times. The cables are tight. I have metered the battery and it is ok. Lately I have heard a clicking noise around the altanator but not always.

saturntech9

October, 23, 2012 AT 8:08 PM

Start by cleaning up the corroded cables with baking soda and water and a small wire brush. Also have the battery and alternator tested a multimeter cannot properly test a battery. Thats where I would start.

caradiodoc

October, 23, 2012 AT 8:14 PM

Make these measurements when the problem is occurring. In particular, Fords have a lot of trouble with wire strands corroded away under the insulation where you can't see it, right where the large cable bolts to the starter.

When you get the fuzzy stuff growing on the battery cables, the battery is going to fail within approximately the next six months. So much of the lead has flaked off the plates that what is left overheats causing the acid to bubble excessively. That bubbling reaches the top of the case where the acid sneaks through by the posts and causes that corrosion. Cleaning it off is only a temporary fix.

Battery Replacement Ford Escape 2000-2006
Battery Replacement Guide
Battery Replacement Honda Civic 2006-2011
Battery Replacement
Battery Replacement Ford Contour 1996-2000
Alternator testing done right