1997 Ford Ranger Transmission Shifting Problems

WORTHIN52
  • 1997 FORD RANGER
I have a 97 ford ranger 4.0l v6 automatic Trans with overdrive. About a week ago I put a bottle of Bars Leak Trans Stop Leak in the transmission. About two days ago I noticed when the transmission shifts into overdrive it seems like it slips. But I’m not sure that is the right terminology because if I accelerate fairly hard it shifts fine. It’s almost like if I don’t accelerate hard it is hanging up in gear. I wonder if the Bars Leak has clogged a valve or done something else. I would greatly appreciate any help you can offer me.
Thank You
Todd Miller
Saturday, November 29th, 2014 AT 3:50 PM

Have a trans guy look at it and let him scan it see if any codes come up. With your mileage and age there is a good possibility that the seal is gone bad in that or clutch pak wear. Of course it could be a valve problem as well. Aftermarket trans fluids are not known to make valves stick.
Saturday, November 29th, 2014 AT 3:54 PM
WORTHIN52
I have a scan tool and I ran a diagnose on it and didn t come up with anything no error codes. The Bars Leak that I put in the Trans wasn t Tran s fluid it was a think stop leak additive. I wasn t having this problem before I put the stop leak in the Trans.
Saturday, November 29th, 2014 AT 4:16 PM
Only thing I can suggest is to try a fluid change maybe it will straighten it out. I never used most of those additives. Nor do many other mechanics.
Saturday, November 29th, 2014 AT 4:41 PM
WORTHIN52
Do you know if it s safe to drive at highway speeds 70mph with the overdrive turned off? Or will the transmission get to hot. I know it will affect my gas mileage.
Saturday, November 29th, 2014 AT 6:07 PM
Yes it's safe to drive at eway speeds your transmission will probably get worse as time goes by however. Not from the driving just from a failed part. But it's ok to drive.
-1
Sunday, November 30th, 2014 AT 7:19 AM
WORTHIN52
After thinking about this for awhile. I had the same problem with another truck several years ago. I put a can of stop leak in the transmission and started having all kinds of problems. I flushed and drained the fluid and put a new filter and fluid in and it was fine after that. It looks like I will have to do the same thing again. It a real pain to do without a lift. Thanks for your help.
+1
Sunday, November 30th, 2014 AT 9:47 AM