Engine noise

JRAYLONG
  • 1997 FORD EXPLORER
My engine is making a ticking noise. I can feel a vibration through the dipstick but I don't feel the vibration on the headers. I have a 97 Ford explorer 4.0 sohc
Thursday, December 2nd, 2010 AT 12:21 AM

A common problem is worn push rods where they contact the rocker arms. You will hear it more if you remove the oil fill cap and listen there.

Thursday, December 2nd, 2010 AT 12:23 AM
As your engine gets older, you will get rattles in your valve train. From wear and maybe from your tappets (hydraulic lifters). The tappets sometimes get "dirty" or build-up on the surfaces of it. Then they do not perform as intended!

The tappets sorta work like a Hydraulic Jack but much faster!

When they drop down, due to the cams action, they sink into a OIL GALLEY, oil pressure "OPENS THEM" and RE-ADJUSTS THEM to take up the SLACK from WEAR in the push-rods, rocker arms, valve stems, cam, and even the mating surfaces of the tappet itself and this "ZEROS" each one to the Proper height. EVERY TIME IT GOES DOWN!

The Cool thing is, It "CLOSES" as it comes back up, closes like a hydraulic Jack. Then it starts pushing, the system, and Wah-lah. The valve opens

May can help you Squeeze out some more miles and help to quiet the ticking!

When you perform your OIL CHANGE, SUBSTITUTE, a QUART ofMarvel Mystery OILfor a quart of regular oil. This will CLEAN your Lifters (tappets). This may get rid of rocker-arm rattle completely. Or maybe not. But it will harm nothing!

The goal is to get the Tappets clean and Closing correctly as well as the "Opening"--Re-adjusting part too."MMO" does not need to be used every oil change

Next, My next oil change and "ALL" thereafter, I would use "LUCAS OIL STABILIZER" or "High Tack" (does not have to be the $$$ synthetic type). This is some thick stuff, may take 30 minutes to get it to all run out of the bottle.I set mine over the heat vent inside, for a while till I install it.

Stabilizer adds $$$ to your change, but it will prolong engine life. At least thats what I have experienced.

I use it in ALL OF MINE. Nothing is too good for "Mr. Jeep" ('77 CJ5) and "Willy" ('46 Willys)

Respond with GOOD NEWS. Don't forget me. Whenever.I can wait thru your 2 oil changes!---RESPOND at this post. So I will be alerted

The Medic
+1
Thursday, December 2nd, 2010 AT 5:53 AM
JRAYLONG
Thank you for the quick replys. I have since stopped the rattling in the oil pan. It seems that when I changed my spark plugs(One was blown out of the engine and I have to tap a new hole and put a insert in) it seems that the dipstick was moved to where it stuck too far into the oil pan. I moved it back out a little and the knocking noise stopped. :)
Thursday, December 2nd, 2010 AT 7:10 PM
Interesting. So how do you know when it's in the correct depth to read the correct level?

I should have clarified too about the noisy push rods. That is a different problem than the typical valve lash noise caused by lifters that aren't pumped up. There will be grooves worn into the ends of the push rods that cause a clicking or chirping sound.

Thursday, December 2nd, 2010 AT 7:25 PM
Well Caradiodoc, That seems awful weird about the dipstick.

Jraylong, be careful tapping that out, I just recently learned, that when TAPPING ALUMINUM, use "LARD" for a lubricant. If you know someone with experience with "Helicoils" or Inserts, Their help may make it a GOOD Thing.'Stead of a BAD Thing.

Sorry I wasn't much help

The Medic
Thursday, December 2nd, 2010 AT 8:03 PM
JRAYLONG
Someone suggested to use grease on the tap. It worked very well. Not only did it make it easier to cut but it also created a sticky trap for all the metal shavings. As for the depth of the dipstick I had measured it before and after moving it and it only changed a fraction of an inch. I didn't move it very much at all. Just enough to get it out of the way of whatever it was hitting. :) I thank you for your speedy replies and the knowledge you have shared. I am no mechanic, but I learn by working on my car.
Thursday, December 2nd, 2010 AT 8:24 PM