HOW TO REPLACE LEAKY COOLANT HOSE BY FIREWAY PASSENGER SIDE 1997 FORD EXPEDITON 5.4LITER TRITON

• Roycar71
  • 1997 FORD EXPEDITION

Holiday Greetings all. This is my first post. I have a ford Expedition 2wd 5.4Liter Triton. I have a leaky hose that appear to be coolant that is just above coil #3 and #4 on passenger side. What would be proper procedure to replace it? I have used gasket maker silcone pase, which appeared to slow it down. Also some special magic tape at autozone. Now, I have found a part at "Rockauto" that appears to be what I need.

Tuesday, December 27th, 2011 AT 3:18 AM

• Rivermikerat

I'm guessing the hose goes between the radiator and the coolant bottle, with one end going to the thermostat?

Drain the radiator into a catch basin. Loosen or remove the clamps. Remove the hose. Twist and pull.

DON'T drain the coolant onto the ground. Most areas in the U.S. Doing so will net you a hefty fine.

Tuesday, December 27th, 2011 AT 3:46 AM
  • Roycar71

Im confused. This portion of hose comes from inside dash all the way assuming to radiator. I thought I could cut portion with box cuter and clamp ends.

P.S. Replacement hose does not go that long as hose that need replacing.

Tuesday, December 27th, 2011 AT 4:54 AM
  • Rivermikerat

Unless there are metal or plastic pieces between hose sections, if the replacement hose doesn't go the whole length of the installed hose, you have the wrong hose. Replacement hoses are exact replacements. If you want to splice what you have in, you're welcome to do so. But, you can't clamp one end of a hose over another end. They'll just separate. You have to have something solid to clamp to.

Tuesday, December 27th, 2011 AT 5:28 AM
  • Roycar71

What if I use 3 clamps on all side of T part of existing hose will that contain leak. It is coming from bottom end of T part.

Tuesday, December 27th, 2011 AT 6:25 AM
  • Rivermikerat

I'm not sure. I don't know how the piece or junction is constructed. It's not going to work if the plastic junction is leaking or if there isn't enough depth on the junction piece to clamp onto.

Tuesday, December 27th, 2011 AT 6:37 AM
  • Rivermikerat

This is what I found for the hose I think you're talking about.

Tuesday, December 27th, 2011 AT 6:40 AM
  • Roycar71

I will try the clamp method. It appears to be leaky from bottom of T part of hose. I guess adding so pressure might stop. It.

Tuesday, December 27th, 2011 AT 7:59 PM
  • Roycar71

"rivermikerat" my hose does not have those other hose attachment on T partion hose

Tuesday, December 27th, 2011 AT 8:01 PM
  • Rivermikerat

I can't locate a parts listing that looks like the hose you showed in the first set of images. I found a similar one at Napa Auto Parts. It's listed as the lower radiator hose.

Wednesday, December 28th, 2011 AT 12:56 AM
  • Roycar71

I believe this is same hose. It it just turned upside down. Do not know why they call it lower radiator hose, since it on passenger side next firewall/battery housing and above coil 2, 3, 4.

Thursday, December 29th, 2011 AT 8:57 PM