RADIATOR HOSE

1997 Ford Expedition

willy2be

June, 25, 2011 AT 1:30 PM

On a 97 ford expedition with 5.4 how do you remove bottom hose it has a different type of hose clamp

caradiodoc

June, 25, 2011 AT 7:34 PM

Can you describe the clamp or post a picture of it?

cadieman

June, 25, 2011 AT 7:46 PM

They sell plier for that clamp.I would use adjustabe head pliers to open then work it off. Then buy new clamps when installing.

willy2be

June, 25, 2011 AT 11:01 PM

It is a normal looking hose but it has a black sleeve on it and the new radiator has o rings on the part the hose connects

willy2be

June, 25, 2011 AT 11:39 PM

This is the connection

caradiodoc

June, 26, 2011 AT 4:06 AM

Good grief. Looks like they found a solution where there was no problem. I can offer two suggestions. First, that shiny ring around the end of the hose might just be a protective sleeve that can be pushed back to expose the clamp. Next, look at that shiny tab right exactly in the center of the picture. That appears to be a release tab or a locating tab that insures proper orientation of the hose. Whatever it is, it looks like you might have to battle some rust to get it apart.

cadieman

June, 26, 2011 AT 4:20 AM

Looks like that metal piece would slide out releasing the hose. Then insert the new hose then slide the metal piece back in to retain it. This is something new to me also. Can u post a pic of the new hose end?

caradiodoc

June, 26, 2011 AT 4:27 AM

I looked at the hose and the radiator on rockauto. Com and still can't figure it out. They have some kind of oil cooler built into that hose. I can think of quite a few less complicated ways of accomplishing the goal of cooling the oil and the coolant.

June, 26, 2011 AT 5:19 AM

Fellers Imma Plumber

Reminds me of a "PEX" crimp ring, 'cept a lot bigger----(sorta)New water system piping

Reckon using a dremel tool, you could cut one side and peel it off, like we do with PEX rings?

Re-install with a Real Hose Clamp?

Pic is my "Dremel" look a-like from "Big Lots", $24, Modifying my Jeep hardtop

The Medic

cadieman

June, 26, 2011 AT 4:44 PM

That sleve may come on the new part go to the parts store and check it out.

Radiator Hoses and Thermostat Replacement
Radiator Hose Replacement - Upper - Chevrolet
Upper and Lower Radiator Hose Replacement
Radiator Replacement Kia Sportage