ALTERNATOR/BATTERY PROBLEM

• jeffrd390
  • 1997 Ford Contour

I was driving down the road and went over some railroad tracks pretty rough and after that everything went dim and it died took the battery up to autozone they charged it to 100% car started back up drove for a couple days and it dies again had autozone check the battery and alternator both tested good

Friday, June 8th, 2012 AT 4:07 AM

• saturntech9

So the battery goes dead while driving?Do you have a multimeter to do some testing?

Friday, June 8th, 2012 AT 4:20 AM
  • jeffrd390

The first time I took it out it was a week after it died and it was completly dead but I just check it with my multimeter and its reading 11.88 volts but I took it out of the car a few hours ago but I dont think that makes a differance

Friday, June 8th, 2012 AT 6:30 AM
  • jeffrd390

And I should mention that when I jump the car it will start but die a few minutes later

Friday, June 8th, 2012 AT 6:33 AM
  • saturntech9

So did auto zone check the alternator in the car or in the store?Put the battery in the car start it up and let me know what the voltage at the battery is at idle?Also have you inspected the battery cables to make sure there clean and tight on both ends of them?

Friday, June 8th, 2012 AT 3:12 PM
  • jeffrd390

They check the alternator on the car its a pain in the rear to get the alternator out to bench test it im getting ready to go put the battery back in the car ill let you know what I find

Friday, June 8th, 2012 AT 4:14 PM
  • saturntech9

Alright let me know what you find.

Friday, June 8th, 2012 AT 4:42 PM
  • jeffrd390

Ok put the battery back in and got it started my multimeter read 13.98 volts then slowly went down to 10.5 when I rev the engine it goes back up so I shut off the car and the battery went back to 11.89volts

Friday, June 8th, 2012 AT 5:12 PM
  • saturntech9

Alright so at idle the voltage drops slowly like its running off the battery?Then when you rev it up the voltage goes back up to just inder 14 volts?If so how did it ever pass the alternator test?

Friday, June 8th, 2012 AT 5:23 PM
  • saturntech9

Really simple wiring to the alternator see if you have battery voltage to the red wire and the green and black wire at the alternator?Also make sure all the connections are tight?Before checking the connections unhook the negative battery cable.

Friday, June 8th, 2012 AT 5:29 PM
  • jeffrd390

Alright I'll try and check that if I can get to the wire

Friday, June 8th, 2012 AT 8:09 PM