I HAVE A INTERMITTENT HARD SHIFT PROBLEM

1997 Eagle Talon

cstaff25

November, 27, 2011 AT 9:38 AM

My car sometimes slams into gear. It is intermittent. Sometimes it is shifts very smooth and some times it feels like someone just hit me. My transmission fluid looks good and is up to level. I just got new motor mounts installed to try and fix this problem. My engine jumps a lot when this happens.

mhpautos

November, 27, 2011 AT 12:32 PM

I feel that is is a problem within the transmission valve body, you may have a sticky shift solinoid, this will have to be check by a trans tech, I would get this done ASAP as the harsh shifting may cause further internal damage.

cstaff25

November, 27, 2011 AT 4:47 PM

Is this impossible to test myself. It is hard to find a trustworthy mechanic around my area. If I can what can I do to test it. Thanks for your quick help by the way.

mhpautos

November, 28, 2011 AT 12:09 AM

Not really I feel as a scan will not show up a sticky solenoid only a dead one, but worth a try, otherwise it is a mechanical problem with in the valve body I feel, this should not be touched unless you have a high level of trans experience.

cstaff25

November, 28, 2011 AT 6:18 AM

OK thanks you very much for your help.

Pulling an Auto Trans? Easy Instructions
Wheel Bearing Replacement
CV Axle Replacement
Axle Seal Replacement