CAR CLUNKS INTO GEAR DRIVE OR REVERSE

1997 Eagle Talon

cstaff25

January, 7, 2013 AT 6:36 AM

Car clunks into gear, drive or reverse. I have all new motor/tranny mounts. The engine moves about 3-4 inches at least some times when shifting. What else could it be aside from the transmission going out? It has had this problem for about a year and a half, but hasn't got any worse. I haven't tried changing the tranny fluid and filter yet, but I know it has enough fluid. I heard this could also be some kind of solenoid problem? Let me know what you think or if you need more speific info.

hmac300

It is probably play in rear axle. Or a bad ujoint in driveshaft.

cstaff25

January, 21, 2013 AT 4:04 AM

This a very delayed reply. Sorry. How can check for these issues? Do I just try and shake them or turn them and look for the excessive play? Thanks

hmac300

For ujoints look for rust around the seals or have a pro look at it. For the axle noise clunk it should be professionally looked at

cstaff25

Okay I'll try to check it out Wednesday and let you know what I find. Thanks.

PS: If I took a video of different areas while it makes the clunking and posted a link here to the video at youtube or whatever, would that help out some?

hmac300

Not really

Transmission Fluid Replacement Mercedes Benz
Automatic Transmission Service
Transmission Drain and Refill Kia Sportage
Transmission Service Ford Super Duty F-250
Transmission Service Toyota Tacoma