97 ES STALLS

1997 Dodge Stratus

ElJay744

November, 10, 2011 AT 10:52 PM

I have 97 Dodge Stratus ES that keeps stalling intermittently. It used to just stall when you would stop at a red light, then step on the gas. But now it stalls while driving. Once even going up hill. It does start right back up.
Once while driving on the highway, it bucked.
I checked the check engine codes by doing on off on off on off and received 1 flash, pause then 2 flashes followed by 1 flash pause and 1 flash. Then the 5 and 5 to end.
I've had it in to two mechanics four times, but they can't duplicate or find the problem. My ****** drives this car and she is too afraid to drive it because the situation has gotten worse.
Any ideas?

Cj Stalling When Idling

Stalling Out

Jacobandnickolas

November, 10, 2011 AT 10:53 PM

Have you scaned the computer with an OBD2 scanner? Also, have you checked fuel pump pressure?

ElJay744

November, 11, 2011 AT 2:18 AM

I am not a mechanic nor do I have an OBD2 scanner. I thought that's what the mechanics did that I took the car to. They said they checked the codes with a computer.
I do not know if they checked the fuel pump pressure.
The one mechanic acted like a know it all, but found nothing. The other would really like to figure it out, but has been unsuccessful. I would like to give him some ideas to help solve this issue.

Jacobandnickolas

November, 11, 2011 AT 3:15 AM

Have him check the fuel pressure and check for vacuum leaks. If the computer was scanned and there were codes, ask him to tell you the codes and then let me know so I can look them up for you. The engine codes should start with a P. For example, PO300.

ElJay744

November, 11, 2011 AT 5:25 PM

Thanks for your reply. No codes when he scanned. I talked to him about the fuel pressure and vacuum leaks. He will check next week. I'll let you know. Any idea what to expect in repair costs if it turns out to be either?

Jacobandnickolas

November, 11, 2011 AT 6:18 PM

If there is a fuel pressure issue, it will matter what the cause is. Same with vacuum leaks; how quick they find it and what is leaking.

ElJay744

November, 16, 2011 AT 3:07 AM

Fuel pressure okay and no vacuum leaks. Recommends to replace Idle air control valve based on past experience with a Dodge van with same issue. BTW. There are no codes because there seems to be an interruption in power, which is resetting the codes, if any. I had been having a problem of the odometer and tach not coming on right away since last year, but no one had the time to find the short, loose wire or whatever. Does IAC seem like a reasonable explanation? He feels we're at the point of trial and error because the codes keep resetting.

rivermikerat

December, 31, 2011 AT 8:22 AM

The IAC can be removed and cleaned. Tell him to check the fuel pressure right as it stalls. Also have him scan for live data.

ElJay744

Had the IAC replaced. Didn't help. There were no pressure or vacuum leaks. No codes. Everything was checking out ok. But it still stalled. They then found oil in the spark plugs. Valve gasket seal was leaking. Replaced it along with plugs and wires, which crumbled as the took them out. Car stalled two weeks later. They found a small hose cracked. Fixed it. So far, so good, but it hasn't been driven much since.

rivermikerat

Keep us apprised.

ElJay744

January, 11, 2012 AT 2:55 AM

Car stalled twice on acceleration up a hill. Then the third time while steady speed on level surface. But before it stalled, it bucked, tack went to zero; stepped on gas, but car wouldn't go. Still had power. Pulled to the side then it stalled. Wouldn't restart. Had it towed to mechanic. Next day it started right up and he was unable to recreate the problem. Does anyone have any other advice?