TEMPERATURE SELECTOR ****

1997 Dodge Ram

Kamaaina

December, 8, 2010 AT 9:32 AM

Cannot change temperature selector **** in '97 Dodge Ram. **** Will rotate (from cold to hot), but will spring back when released. Feels like it is either spring-loaded or a vacuum is pulling it back. AC works fine and **** was good in May when coolant was changed (and heater core drained).

BMRFIXIT

December, 8, 2010 AT 12:35 PM

Check cable adjustment and blend door

Kamaaina

December, 9, 2010 AT 9:46 AM

Thank you for this, but was hoping you might expand the context. I have no idea where this item is relative to anything else. Is there a source of installation drawings I might access?

BMRFIXIT

December, 9, 2010 AT 12:36 PM

Disconnect negative battery cable. Remove 2 screws from cup holder and remove cup holder assembly.
Remove 2 screws from ashtray and remove ashtray. Carefully pry bezel away from instrument panel to disengage clips. Unplug connectors from cigarette lighter and auxiliary power outlet.
Remove 4 screws attaching heater control panel. Pull control panel rearward.
Disconnect wiring harness and vacuum connectors.
Push inward on Red cable connector to release connector.
Remove cable end from heater control panel.
Check cable, check door operation in the heater box
click on the image to enlarge and to see cable adjustment

Kamaaina

February, 6, 2011 AT 9:54 AM

I finally had a chance to look at this in detail and found it just as you described. Once I got everything apart, I saw that the panel end of the control cable had kinked (short of its guide sheath) and was bunching up every time I tried to move the ****. I attempted to straighten the cable with pliers and succeeded only slightly, but apparently enough that the heater door now opens and closes when operated slowly. Regardless, if the problem recurs in the future, I'll know how to fix it (for the one or two times a year I need cabin heat here in Arizona). Thank you for your time and detailed reply.

Replace Heater Core
Heater Hose Replacement Chevrolet Camaro
Cabin Air Filter Replacement
Cabin Air Filter Replacement