ALL WHEEL DRIVE MODEL

1997 Dodge Caravan

aardwolf

October, 19, 2012 AT 11:59 AM

All wheel drive model. Was running normally when the tranmission failed without warning. Engine running normally but no power to the wheels in reverse or any forward gear. After resting for a while, restarted the engine and vehicle moved forward for about 30 feet and failed again.
Verified transmission fluid level. A little low although I could not find any leaks. So I topped up the levels and now have forward gears but still no reverse gear. When I shift to reverse, it seems to want to engage - get a very low sound - but no reverse action.
Is this likely to be a major problem? Would have to tow the vehicle a 100 miles to a shop and it's not worth paying a lot to get it fixed. If it's likely to be a simple problem, then I would not mind putting a couple of 3 to 4 hundred dollars into towing and repair.

October, 19, 2012 AT 12:11 PM

Internal failure and yes, it is a major repair. Will have to be replaced or overhauled.

Automatic Transmission Service
Transmission Fluid Replacement Mercedes Benz
Transmission Service Toyota Tacoma
Transmission Service Ford Super Duty F-250
Transmission Drain and Refill Kia Sportage