SHOULDN'T A 2.0 LITER ENGINE BE GETTING BETTER GAS MILEAGE THAN A 2.4 LITER ENGINE?

1997 Chrysler 300

yoututu

May, 8, 2012 AT 10:06 AM

I had a 97 4 cylinder Camry with a 2.4L engine which got excellent gas milage. I now have a 2002 4 cylinder Dodge with a 2.0L engine but the gas milage is not as good as the Camry. It's also not as good as other people get with the same car. State inspection said the OBD system is fine. So. No issues with the spark plugs, oxygen sensor etc.

#1 Shouldn't a 2.0 liter engine be getting better gas Mileage than a 2.4 liter engine?

#2 Could my poor gas mileage be because I just bought the car and it was sitting on a lot on E for 5 months

May, 8, 2012 AT 10:44 AM

Might need a major tune-up, fuel system flushing, tires/wheel alignment, suspension, brakes and transmission any problem within these components will reduce the fuel economy-

hebby

May, 9, 2012 AT 1:28 AM

The size of the engine alone will not determine gas mileage. There are many other factors including vehicle weight, design of the motor, etc. So in answer to question 1, size isn't going to matter.
For question #2, make sure you change the oil, oil filter, air filter and keep the tires inflated to recommended specs. That might help you out a bit

Engine Oil Change and Filter Mercedes
Engine Oil Change and Filter Honda Element
Engine Oil Change and Filter Mini Cooper
Oil Change and Filter Replacement Ford Focus
Oil Change and Filter Replacement Dodge Ram
Oil and Filter Replacement Subaru Legacy