Tool available for removing 2 pc axle seal?

R2THMAN
  • 1997 CHEVROLET CAVALIER

Hi. I'm replacing the left side axle seal (transmission output shaft seal) on my 97 cavalier. Seal is actually 2 pc; an inner sleeve which seals against the axle shaft, and an outer oil seal that seals against the outside of the inner seal. I have the outer seal out, and am trying to remove the inner seal. Is there a special tool to remove this seal? Thanks.

Thursday, December 29th, 2011 AT 11:23 PM

FIXITMR

Check over here. http://www.2carpros.com/questions/chevrolet-cavalier-1997-chevy-cavalier-2-piece-axle-seal-on-drivers-side-4t4

Friday, December 30th, 2011 AT 12:42 AM
R2THMAN

Thanks for the help guys. I found out that there is a special GM tool (Kent-Moore #J41227 $160 new). I ended up using a Powerbuilt #648644 power steering pulley puller ($27 @ Advance Auto). I did have to do quite a bit of grinding to modify the jaws to fit, & had to use a c-clamp to secure it on the back of the old seal. But by God's grace it worked! Have a great new year.

Monday, January 2nd, 2012 AT 5:09 AM