HEARD A BANG FROM ENGINE ITS NOW GROWLING WHEN ...

1997 Audi A3

Mary_rossi

December, 2, 2011 AT 7:43 PM

Heard a bang from engine it's now growling when revving and feels as though car doesn't want to move in first gear

caradiodoc

December, 2, 2011 AT 9:18 PM

What have you tried so far? Check the belts first to see if one is broken but if the car won't go into gear, it's likely a transmission problem. You didn't say whether it's an automatic or manual transmission so to cover all the possibilities, the most common cause would be a cracked flex plate for an automatic or a broken shaft or gear in a manual transmission or the clutch disc fell apart. A broken axle shaft is less expensive to repair but you would typically have a horrendous banging and vibration, depending on which joint on which end of the shaft broke. There would also likely be a small puddle of fluid under the front of the car.

If you can't see anything obvious, have the car towed to a mechanic who can visually inspect it.

Mary_rossi

December, 3, 2011 AT 9:04 AM

Hi thanks for info my car does drive just feels sluggish in first and need to really rev it

caradiodoc

December, 3, 2011 AT 9:29 AM

I'd still head for an inspection. I can't think of anything in the transmission that would make a loud noise, then cause slipping, but if it is slipping, severe damage can be done to the clutch plates in an automatic if they overheat. That might be avoidable if the car isn't driven too far. Hopefully the problem isn't even related to the transmission.

Transmission Fluid Replacement Mercedes Benz
Transmission Service Ford Super Duty F-250
Automatic Transmission Service
Transmission Service Toyota Tacoma
Transmission Drain and Refill Kia Sportage
Transmission Speed Sensor Replacement Honda