ABS LIGHT IS ON

1997 Acura SLX

cannaka

November, 8, 2012 AT 7:10 AM

ABS light is on. When I put the car in drive, it struggles to move forward unless I put it in L gear first.
It is not the ROTORs. The brake pads are fine. The brake fluid is full. No grinding noise or smell. Please tell me.

I am going to a dealer to check "Scan the Sensor" to tell me for sure what it is?

November, 8, 2012 AT 7:54 PM

You need to retrive the trouble code to understand what is wrong. Requiring to shift to L before it can move forward indicates a possible fault with the transmisison controls and the ABS could be a separate problem.

Let us know what the trouble codes are.

cannaka

December, 6, 2012 AT 2:33 AM

So, I went to the Acura dealer. They explained that they could not proceed until I replaced the PCM and werent really sure that was the problem. That is not an option for me. I went to another mechanic who unplugged the battery, checked the ABS fuse, tried to bypass the ABS fuse. No luck. Noticed that the Volt meter in the car was alll the way to the right. So he plugged in his meter/scanner and it said the code was no power?
To replace the 2 yr old Alternator.
What is a transmission control? Is that the same thing as a transmission?

Please advise.

Thanks.

December, 6, 2012 AT 1:56 PM

Transmission control is the computer system for the transmission.
Was there any troule codes?

cannaka

December, 6, 2012 AT 2:55 PM

Well the Acura dealer gave me no code and told me they would have to replace the PCM to get one.

The last mechanic plugged in a meter differently from Auto zone (plugged it in the top) said ERG valve.

So the last machanic plugged his meter in below: So he plugged in his meter/scanner and it said the code was no power?

He didnt show me the number. Just the definition: Power soucre something or another. He told me that means the alterantor. Lifted the hood, showed me the battery covers (2 of them) were popping off and white and black stuff coming out. He told me to clean it after the alternator was replaced.

Please advise

December, 6, 2012 AT 3:02 PM

If the alternator is not charging correctly, it would affect performance and other electrical components. Have you tested the alternator charging and checked the fuses?

cannaka

December, 9, 2012 AT 5:20 PM

Okay, so 8 mechanics later.I discovered a few things. At 1st when the SLX would NOT move forward in drive and had to be shifted into 1st gear simultainously the ABS light came on.

Took it to my regular repair guy, he said could be transmission, he used his coding meter. He said take it to the Acura dealer.

Next day went to autozone for a code reading. They said it was the ERG valve? Next took it to a local car repair shop, their code said it needed new brakes and Rotors.

As I got the last gentlemen who works specifically on ABS lights for Acura's and Hondas. I pointed out that my Volt meter in the car was all the way to the right. He put his meter in, checked the battery and said its the alternator.

I had the alternator replaced approxmately 1 1/2 years ago. Purchaced from NAPA. Who by the way will NEVER repace any part without the reciept. I found many phone calls to Corporate etc. No luck. All the other auto parts keep your info or at least your car make on file and honor thier life time warrentys.

I bought a new Alternator from Autozone, new batter needed too. Problem resoloved.

December, 9, 2012 AT 6:52 PM

Glad to know the problem has been fixed.

Just wonder what mechanics you have in town who don't take the trouble to test the charging system when the volt meter is not shwing correctly.

cannaka

December, 10, 2012 AT 3:07 AM

None of them did. The 1st mechanic who actually put the original atlternator in 2 years ago, was the 1st to say well that might be it, but it doesn't explain why it wont' move forward in drive. So, take it to the acura dealer. The Acura dealer said that it was the PCM. And the rest is history.

I think if I am being honest. Part was that I am a woman and part was that some of them wanted to make some extra money. Most service people tend to be more dishonest during the hollidays.

Most of the experience was very sad. It was aggarvating too. "What was the code?" Really when they gave me the code # it meant nothing to me as I only know Income Tax Codes. So, I immedieatly asked them for the definition of the codes and they all pressed a button on their meter and showed me the definition whitch I explained above. ERG valve. PCM Whatever.

My 1st mechanic installed the alternator for free.

Anyway, I hope that I am done with this for now.

December, 10, 2012 AT 8:10 PM

To us the code is more important than the description. Different scan tools/code readers could have different description depending on the manufacturer and for each component, there are more than one code so the exact code is important.

For the modern day vehicles, there are a lot of electrical/electronic components and and fluctuations in battery voltage can result in any of them not working correctly and thus the diagnosis that the PCM is bad.

It is sad that there are dishonest people out there but mostly I would put the blame on incompetence. If any of these people had wanted your money, they would have started with recommending an alternator change as it is overcharging.

ABS Computer Replacement