THERMOSTAT

1997 Acura Integra

Dana_Guam

March, 14, 2011 AT 8:02 PM

How can I tell if a Thermostat is Bad? I just replaced it in Aug. Of 2010. I have problems with my 1997 Acura Integra overheating. This morning I opened up my radiator cap and started the car and saw that the coolant was moving like it was running threw the radiator and engine. Dose that mean my Thermostat is open?

caradiodoc

March, 14, 2011 AT 8:14 PM

Yup. It's circulating. It shouldn't do that until the engine is warmed up.

Wrenchtech

March, 14, 2011 AT 8:18 PM

The T-stat is at the end of the lower radiator hose. Feel the temp of that hose near the engine. If it's hot, the stat is open.

Dana_Guam

March, 14, 2011 AT 8:18 PM

How do I know if it needs to be replaced? When I pull it out can I blow it out with a air compressor and put it back in? Or dose it need to just be replaced?
Thanks So Much for your Answer.

Wrenchtech

March, 14, 2011 AT 8:20 PM

Sorry Doc, we posted at the same time. You finish.

Dana_Guam

March, 14, 2011 AT 8:24 PM

Thanks! When I remove the Thermostat, can I blow it out with a strong air pressure and re-use it? How do I know if it will close or stay open when I put it back in. Or is that not a good idea?
Thanks.

Dana_Guam

March, 14, 2011 AT 8:31 PM

Mr. Wrenchtech, How do I know if it needs to be replaced? When I pull it out can I blow it out with a air compressor and put it back in? Or dose it need to just be replaced? Thanks So Much for your Answer.

Wrenchtech

March, 14, 2011 AT 8:36 PM

No, you can't blow it out with an air hose. That doesn't fix anything. I seriously doubt the stat is your problem. They rarely fail. It needs to be checked out closer to determine what is really wrong with it.

caradiodoc

March, 14, 2011 AT 8:40 PM

Look at the plate in the middle to see if coolant could flow through it. It should be closed to block fluid flow. They can stick open but that would be real unusual for a new one. What exactly is the symptom? If the thermostat sticks open, it will take way too long for the engine to reach normal operating temperature. You will also have cool air from the heater.

March, 14, 2011 AT 8:40 PM

Just replace it-its cheap and good preventive maintenance-The fan should kick in @ 220degs. To check, use a DVOM measure the resistances cold and hot-

Thermostat Replacement Chevrolet Blazer
Thermostat Replacement Mercedes Benz C230
Thermostat Replacement Chrysler PT Cruiser