- COMPRESSION TEST

1996 Toyota Paseo

jroberts1234

January, 3, 2011 AT 2:41 AM

In completing a dry compression test my results were as follows:

1 - 140
2 - 10?
3 - 100
4 - 170

I repeated the test twice cranking the car for 5 seconds on each cylinder.

The car runs fine but does burn a lot of oil which is not noticeable in the exhaust, but is noticeable in the fact I have to put in about 2 quarts every 2.5 weeks.

Questions:

1) Could this car run apparently normally, with an occasional rough idle, while seemingly having no compression on cylinder #2?

2) On a related note, if I wanted to do a leak test, how would I manually turn the cylinders to top dead center for each leak test?

Thank you.

obxautomedic

January, 3, 2011 AT 3:25 AM

Ok, you done the dry test now to find out if rings or valve seals are worn you need to do a wet test. And all you do is sqirt some oil into the cylinders. If compression increases then rings are worn if no change then Valves or valve seals are worn.

.

jroberts1234

Good Morning. Thank you for your reply.

1. I will do the wet test this weekend to confirm the rings or valves, but: a) Could this car run apparently normally, with an occasional rough idle, while seemingly having no compression on cylinder #2?

B) If I wanted to do a leak test how would I manually turn the cylinders to top dead center for each leak test?

Thanks.

obxautomedic

Sorry, forgot to answer the other question.

Honestly the vehicle should run ruff as hell since it is a 4 cylinder all the time with no compression in any one cylinder. What you may want to do is recheck the #2 cylinder before doing the wet test. It is possible the compression tester didn't seal properly.

To Manually turn the Engine you can get a socket to put on the Crank Bolt just make sure you turn engine in right direction.

jroberts1234

January, 4, 2011 AT 1:52 AM

Thanks for the information. Does the crank always turn clockwise (when facing it)? How do I tell the correct direction?

obxautomedic

January, 4, 2011 AT 4:40 AM

You will need to start the vehicle and look or have someone just bump the key a few times to figure out the rotation.

I am pretty sure it spins clockwise, but alway nice to just double check.

.

jroberts1234

Ok, thanks.

obxautomedic

No problem.

Post finding.

Engine Cylinder Compression Test - All Cars
Replacing Head Gasket
Engine Oil Change and Filter Honda Element
Serpentine Belt Tensioner Replacement
Oil Change and Filter Replacement - Ford F150