COULD WORN STEERING RACK CAUSE VIBRATIONS?

1996 Toyota Corolla

dansfraz

August, 11, 2012 AT 6:22 PM

I have a vibration bad vibration from 55mph to almost 70mph. At first I thought the problem could be with worn cv axles, but after replacing them I found the vibration persisted. The tie rod ends are tight, but the steering rod moves in and out of the rack about 1/8"-1/4" when the vehicle is raised. I guess my question is that is this normal or not and what else do I need to be checking to eliminate this issue.

Rack And Pinion

Rack&pinion

caradiodoc

August, 11, 2012 AT 6:52 PM

Worn steering parts will not cause a vibration but they can allow some other cause to make a vibration feel worse. At lower speeds suspect a broken tire belt or bent wheel but at the higher speeds you mentioned tire balance is the logical suspect. An out-of-balance rear wheel will be felt in the car seat and floor. A front wheel will be felt in the steering wheel.

Worn inner cv joints will cause a shimmy in the steering wheel while under load such as when accelerating but that goes away as speed increases.

dansfraz

August, 11, 2012 AT 7:01 PM

Ok, thank you. I will have my tires rotated and balanced soon and let you know how it goes.

dansfraz

August, 11, 2012 AT 9:45 PM

I went and had my tires balanced and rotated them. The vibration is gone. Thank you very much.

caradiodoc

August, 11, 2012 AT 10:44 PM

All right! One in a row. Happy to hear it was a simple fix.

Power Steering Box Replacement Chevy Tahoe
Power Steering Fluid Flush Chevrolet Blazer
Power Steering Pump Pulley Removal
Power Steering Fluid Flush Acura MDX 2000-200
Power Steering Fluid Check Acura TSX