SPEEDOMETER AND REV COUNTER NOT READING, ALSO FINISHING OIL AND SMOKES A LITTLE

1996 Toyota Carina

rodney.matewe

August, 30, 2011 AT 9:57 AM

Bought the vehicle second hand, had an accident with the 1st owner and she got it fixed and she sold it to me, the powere is still fine. Last time I drove it for 500 kms with half dipstick oil by the time I reached the destination it was almost finished.

mhpautos

August, 30, 2011 AT 10:15 AM

Get a leak down test done, this will give a good indication as to ring condition, do you know when the last service was done and what oil was used weight and if mineral or synth?

rodney.matewe

August, 30, 2011 AT 1:00 PM

I do not have its service record, I am in Zimbabwe and here we usually use sae40 engine oil, how is the test you suggested done? How about the speedo and rev counter what could be wrong?

mhpautos

August, 30, 2011 AT 1:05 PM

Small charge of compressed air is pumped into the cylinder with both valves closed, you can determine if leakage past rings is more than acceptable by how much pressure is lost, speedo may be broken cable if mechanical or speed sensor if electronic tacho may be induction pick up or faulty gauge.

Instrument Cluster Replacement GMC Yukon
Coolant Temperature Sender Replacement
Cabin Air Filter Replacement