I WENT TO CHANGE THE ALTERNATOR ON MY FEMALE ...

1996 Subaru Impreza

adamadamadam

December, 2, 2011 AT 12:26 AM

I went to change the alternator on my female friends Subaru aside from road salt corrosion and age, the alternator swap was easy. While doing the job I noticed the large cogged or toothed (if you will), belt was loose. I take this is the timing belt. Thank you

Jacobandnickolas

December, 2, 2011 AT 3:43 AM

What is your question?

adamadamadam

December, 3, 2011 AT 3:17 AM

Sorry, I typed the question in the subject box or something.
Question: On a 1996 Subaru Impreza, is the large toothed belt suppose to be very slack with the engine at rest? I see two small tensioners/pullies, one is just round and fixed, the other has an eliptical shaped slot around the center mounting bolt. Although they both lightly touch the belt, I can turn them both. The one is fixed, but the other with the slot in it seems like the one that should have a "spring" to it to keep the belt tight but it is firmly in place and does not move either way when using a breaker bar or pry bar to try and "flex" or move it. There is up to 1 inch or more of deflection, or play in the large toothed belt which I have comne to beleive is the timing belt.

Jacobandnickolas

December, 3, 2011 AT 5:41 AM

You are correct. One is an idler pulley without a spring and the other is the automatic belt tensionier. If it is loose, it needs replaced. That is what tightens the belt.

Step by Step Timing Belt Replacement Guide
Serpentine Belt Replacement Mercedes Benz
Serpentine Belt Replacement
Serpentine Belt Replacement Chevrolet Tahoe
Serpentine Belt Replacement Chevy 1500
Serpentine Belt Replacement Ford Contour
Serpentine Belt Replacement Mercedes Benz ML