SATUN POOR CITY MPG

1996 Saturn SL1

dtdodd

July, 15, 2011 AT 3:23 PM

Have this car it has about 126K on it. Runs great. Began getting bad gas mileage in town like 14mpg. Chk engine light came on and it was an O2 sensor. I have replaced this and no more check engine light.

Problem - city mpg is still at about 14. This car should be getting like 24-26mpg in the city. Any suggestions as to where to start. HWY mileage is still in the 30's so I am stumped as to what would cause one to dive while the other is still great?

saturntech9

July, 15, 2011 AT 5:25 PM

Bad city and good highway thats crazy even if the injectors were dirty and squirting too much fuel it should still effect your highway mileage. Have you checked your coolant temp sensor they go bad all the time on those cars. Also inspect the connector if the inside of the connector is blue or green its corroded and needs to be replaced.

dtdodd

July, 15, 2011 AT 7:20 PM

Replaced the radiator but haven't checked the coolant temp sensor. How would the sensor or connector cause this issue?

saturntech9

July, 15, 2011 AT 7:25 PM

That sensor controls how much is given based on coolant temp if it miss reads it always reads colder then actual running temp making it use more fuel and richer.

Oil Change and Filter Replacement - Ford F150
Engine Oil Change and Filter Scion xD
Engine Oil Change and Filter Mercedes ML350
Engine Oil Change and Filter Kia Forte
Engine Oil Change and Filter Honda Element
Engine Oil Change and Filter Saturn LS1