TIMING CHAIN AND OIL LEAK

1996 Saturn SC2

CASSIE23

I have a 96 Staurn with 153,611 miles on it. The mechanic told me the timing chain is breaking and there is oil in the spark plug area. Do you know what an average estimate on fixing it. I was told 850.00 that seems really high. I am trying to sell it and was wondering if 450 was to high for an offer. Many new parts in it such as radiator and brakes etc.

mmprince4000

Get a second opinion, chains usually last the life of car. Oil in spark plug is caused by bad tube seals, I would question radiator change also.

CASSIE23

I just replaced radiator 3 months ago.

saturntech9

If the oil isn't changed regular the timing chain won't last the life of that car I have changed a lot of those chain's for lack of maintance. The oil is leaking in the plug holes because it need's a new valve cover gasket. There 20 and really easy to do yourself. Labor would be 5.7 hours for the timing chain with the valve cover gasket time's 80-100 per hr. The valve cover gasket is 20 the timing chain kit I have seen complete timing chain kit's for 75 silicone 20 oil and filter 30. So is the timing chain making noise?If so what does it sound like?

Serpentine Belt Replacement Chevy 1500
Serpentine Belt Replacement Mercedes Benz
Serpentine Belt Replacement Saturn Vue
Serpentine Belt Replacement Chevrolet Tahoe
Serpentine Belt Replacement Chevrolet
Serpentine Belt Replacement Chrysler