WHAT SHOULD I CHECK FIRST

1996 Plymouth Voyager

scott kleinsmith

August, 30, 2011 AT 3:49 AM

It is a grand voyager se it started******** and running really rough at low speed 25mph or less and it runs fine on hiway but in town it gains speed slow and rough from 10mph up to around 30 then it seems ok. Till you stop and it dies and it dies soon as you put it in gear. But it idles ok and drives ok as long as you dont have to slow down and speed up.

Running Rough

Idles Rough/changed Ects

caradiodoc

August, 31, 2011 AT 2:57 AM

My '88 did the same thing many years ago. Your symptoms sound exactly the same. When the pickup screen in the fuel tank collapses or becomes plugged, the engine will run fine when the least fuel is being pumped which is during acceleration and cruising. It will starve for fuel PRESSURE when the largest volume is being pumped which is during coasting.

The first clue is it will likely run okay for the first five to fifteen minutes. A second clue can be found by disconnecting the vacuum hose from the fuel pressure regulator on the fuel rail on the engine, and plugging it. You'll get black smoke from the tail pipe, but the engine should run without starving for fuel. If it does, suspect that pickup screen.