IS IT A BRAKE PROBLEM?

• Jan3
  • 1996 Oldsmobile Ciera

96 oldsmobile ciera, I heard a soft pop then the brake went almost down to the floor, slow stopping. What could cause this?

Sunday, August 12th, 2012 AT 9:19 PM

• KHLow2008

Something has given way with the brakes and you need to check what has gone wrong. Check the fluid level. You could have burst a hose, master cylinder gone bad or a leak at the wheels.

Sunday, August 12th, 2012 AT 9:21 PM
  • Jan3

What kind of hose could have possibly leaked? Do all four wheels have something that could leak too? Is the replacement of a master cylinder very expensive. Thank you so much.

Sunday, August 12th, 2012 AT 9:55 PM
  • KHLow2008

The brake system has flexible hoses between the body and wheel for every wheel and any of these can leak/burst. Each wheel has calipers or slave cylinders that can leak too.

Master cylinder is the most expensive component among the brake system, except the ABS modulator of course. Cost varies and you need to check locally to confirm.

Sunday, August 12th, 2012 AT 9:58 PM
  • Jan3

Does an ABS modulator cost about $400.00? What on earth would a master cylinder possibly cost? YIKES!

Thank you so much.

Sunday, August 12th, 2012 AT 10:18 PM
  • ASEMaster6371

Start with a diag before pricing anything. It could be one of the steel lines rotted out and is leaking.

Sunday, August 12th, 2012 AT 10:24 PM
  • Jan3

I am a woman who lives alone and have been taken advantage of many times when it comes to car repairs. Should I suggest that a friend thought it might be a rotted line leaking or would that just make the mechanic angry? Thank you so much for your help.

Sunday, August 12th, 2012 AT 10:31 PM
  • ASEMaster6371

No, let them tell you the issue. Ask around for people who trust different shops and get bids.

Sunday, August 12th, 2012 AT 10:35 PM
  • Jan3

Last week I had my car towed and repaired because it suddenly revved up and surged forward, wouldn't stop with my foot on brake. They replaced something called valve air control, I think. Could that have anything to do with my current problem? Thank you

Sunday, August 12th, 2012 AT 10:41 PM
  • ASEMaster6371

No, but the excessive pressure you used to stop the car may have weakened the line.

Sunday, August 12th, 2012 AT 10:43 PM
  • djcl
  • 786 posts

Add brake fluid to the master cylinder and have someone pump the brakes while you look under the car. See if and where fluid is leaking and I will give you a quote

Sunday, August 12th, 2012 AT 10:57 PM