ABS LIGHTS

1996 Oldsmobile Ciera

MyBrainman

January, 19, 2012 AT 2:40 AM

The ABS(Anti-lock Brake System)light was steady on. I replaced the rear driver side wheel cylinder. Now the light sometimes will be off, and sometimes on, also it might come on while driving. What could it be?

fixitmr

January, 19, 2012 AT 2:49 AM

You can get the abs scanned to find out. Most likely its a wheel sensor issue.

MyBrainman

January, 19, 2012 AT 2:58 AM

I had it scanned and the said that is was the ABS modual, I replaced that but the light still comes on

mhpautos

January, 19, 2012 AT 7:11 AM

Did you do the code clear with a scanner?

MyBrainman

Yes I did, But the light still comes and goes, could the other wheel cylinder or the front calipers be bad as there is no pulsing in the pedal.

fixitmr

January, 20, 2012 AT 4:04 AM

Is light on all the time now?

MyBrainman

January, 20, 2012 AT 6:44 AM

It comes on and stays on, but some times it will turn off for a while. It is an on/off issue. It not always on but its not always off.

fixitmr

January, 21, 2012 AT 2:04 AM

Have some 1 else scan it and give advice.

mhpautos

January, 21, 2012 AT 2:32 AM

You may need a quality scanner, some cheap generic scanners are just not good enough to pick up all codes.

MyBrainman

The place I took it to was a Chevolet, Buick, oldsmobile dealer, that was a year ago, thaey said the abs modual was bad, paid over 600 to have it fixed, as soon as I pulled out of the lot it started came on steady again and they were stumped even after having the car for another 2 weeks. 3 months ago I put on a wheel cylinder in the back that while rplacing brake shoes I damaged the wheel cylinder. After puting the new on on, thats when the light started going off, but does come back on. It on 5o% of the time.

ABS Computer Replacement
Brake Light Bulb Replacement Chevrolet