ENGINE SURGES

1996 Mitsubishi Mirage

rianakate

December, 14, 2011 AT 4:46 AM

Hi I own a 1996 mitsubishi mirage. It is tiptronic. The problem is that it surges quite badly whilst driving, I cannot even accelerate properly. I took it to a garage and paid hundreds of dollars. On the quote it says they did this. Tuneup, remove and cap and rotor to clean?

This is my first car, it ran fine when I first got it.
Have owned it for about 3 months. I don't tend to drive it in manual. It surges mostly whilst accelerating or going up a hill, not really when cruising along a straight.

93 F150 Hesitates/surges

Engine Surging

Jacobandnickolas

December, 14, 2011 AT 4:56 AM

Have you checked for vacuum leaks?

rianakate

December, 14, 2011 AT 5:08 AM

Hey, yes apparantly that was checked. Everyone I have asked is stumped on what it could be

Jacobandnickolas

December, 14, 2011 AT 5:18 AM

I have to be honest, it sounds like a vacuum leak. Was it checked by a certified tech?

rianakate

December, 15, 2011 AT 4:15 AM

Okay I will look into that, I noticed today my car makes a whistling, squeeling sort of noise? Would that be related to the main problem?

Jacobandnickolas

December, 15, 2011 AT 4:17 AM

It could be. Do me a favor. Check the belt. Make sure nothing is getting on it like coolant, oil. Something may be causing it to slip.