THROTTLES UP AT CERTAIN TIMES AND WON'T COME DOWN

1996 Lincoln Mark VIII

kathleenlee

February, 6, 2012 AT 2:39 PM

I am 100% disabled veteran on a fixed income. My 96 anniversary. Lincoln throttles up at certain times and won't come down. Usually around 2000. I took to mechanic and they can't figure it out because it didn't do it for them after 2 wks. I picked up the car. Ran gr8 and then when I started it back up, after engine was hot. It reved up again. Called the mechanic so he could hear it. He wants to replace the entire throttle system, over 1000 dollars. But I've been researching online and this seems to be a sensor problem. Would you recommend I just change the throttle sensor to start, and perhaps it will fix it? Please, I have to be able to get to my dr's and right now I don't feel safe driving it. It has about 114000 miles and rides just gr8.

thank you so much - love your site : -)

Throttle Problem

rivermikerat

February, 6, 2012 AT 7:32 PM

You can check and clean the EGR and idle air control valve. Make sure the throttle position sensor isn't binding. Use some carb and choke cleaner to thoroughly clean the throttle linkage assembly. Check the throttle return spring. Remove the air intake hose/pipe and check and clean the throttle plate with the carb and choke cleaner.

rivermikerat

February, 6, 2012 AT 7:33 PM

And thank you for your service.

Easily Clean Your Throttle Bore Like a Pro
Engine Oil Change and Filter Acura TSX
Engine Mount Replacement Chevrolet Cavalier
Air Filter Replacement
Serpentine Belt Replacement Acura MDX