SMOKE OUT TAIL PIPE AFTER CAR SITS OVER 5 HOURS...

1996 Lexus ES 300

Anonymous

November, 9, 2012 AT 9:59 PM

Smoke out tail pipe after car sits over 5 hours . If I run the car 55 mph it never smokes when I start it. But if I run it 70 mph and then let it sit for 5 hours when I start it, it smokes, smells kinda like hot catalytic converter. Now it develop a miss in the engine. Could a coil be going bad

saturntech9

November, 9, 2012 AT 10:53 PM

As far as the smoke goes sounds like worn valve stems letting oil drain down into valve into the combustion chambers causing the smoke. Tell more about the miss is it only at idle while under hard acceleration etc?

gunshuffler0378@yahoo.com

November, 10, 2012 AT 12:44 AM

Miss is at idle. I can drive the car all week under 55 and no smoke, as soon as I run it hard and let it sit, it smokes thats why I didnt consider the valve seats

saturntech9

November, 10, 2012 AT 4:49 PM

What color is the smoke after it sits on you start it?

gunshuffler0378@yahoo.com

November, 10, 2012 AT 8:38 PM

White remember when modulater valves would go bad on transmissions and it would suck the fluid out and burn it in the carb the thing would smoke and smell all the time. It smellls kinda like that

saturntech9

November, 11, 2012 AT 2:19 AM

White thats odd not sure if you have a vaccum modulator valve on the transmission I will look and see.

gunshuffler0378@yahoo.com

November, 12, 2012 AT 11:31 PM

Great I drove the car 102 miles yesterday and the missing stopped ! It still smokes when you start it after it has been run hard

ImpalaSS

November, 14, 2012 AT 2:49 AM

WIth it being white smoke, are you sure it isn't a bad head gasket? How is the oil and antifreeze

saturntech9

November, 14, 2012 AT 3:38 AM

Great point just didnt think of head gasket because it only does it on start up. Can also do a chemical block test.

gunshuffler0378@yahoo.com

November, 14, 2012 AT 10:45 PM

Oil looks good

saturntech9

November, 14, 2012 AT 10:59 PM

You could do a chemical block test to try to see if there is coolant getting burned at start up. Because white smoke on start up is coolant or condensation in the exhaust.

Catalytic Converter Replacement Volkswagen