TRANSMISSON SLIP?

• bbg
  • 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee

I might trade my Honda for this 96 Jeep GC and this guy told me right up that I need to go get the transmisson flushed becasue the guy he bought it form didnt empty the torque converter so it mixed in with the new and said that all it does is let off the gass between 2nd and 3rd gear an it shifts but it only does it when its first started. Could this mean ill be wasting time swicthing cars?

Friday, June 22nd, 2012 AT 1:02 AM

• caradiodoc

Your description is real confusing but mixing new and old transmission fluid is not uncommon. Torque converters haven't had drain plugs for decades. The only way to get the old fluid out of them is with special flushing machines.

If it's not shifting correctly, that is a different issue. It sounds like someone already tried a flush thinking that was going to automatically solve some mechanical problem. The best approach is to let a mechanic at a transmission shop drive it and give you an opinion on repair cost.

Friday, June 22nd, 2012 AT 1:08 AM
  • bbg

I know what you mean I was very confused when he said that to me as well. He also said that he has been driving it for 8 months and never had any issue with it. I asked him if it felt like it was going to slip and he said not just switching between 2nd and 3rd I have to let off the gas.

Friday, June 22nd, 2012 AT 1:15 AM
  • racefan966

On my 99 Grand Cherokee when it did that I changed the output shaft speed sensor and all was fine.

Friday, June 22nd, 2012 AT 1:30 AM
  • bbg

I have had a few people tell me that, is that easy to fix/change? I dont know that much about jeeps.

Friday, June 22nd, 2012 AT 1:33 AM
  • racefan966

Oh yea on the drivers side of the trans just above the pan

Friday, June 22nd, 2012 AT 1:37 AM
  • bbg

Thats great, sould I still get it flushed?

Friday, June 22nd, 2012 AT 1:38 AM
  • racefan966

If the fluid looks other then red or is not the correct fluid then yes, it should have ATF+4 in it.

Friday, June 22nd, 2012 AT 1:46 AM
  • bbg

Would it still be like a red color if he mixed old with new?

Thank you so much for helping me.

Friday, June 22nd, 2012 AT 1:48 AM
  • racefan966

Yes it would be. So if your not sure if the correct fluid is in it then I would flush it anyway.

Friday, June 22nd, 2012 AT 1:50 AM
  • bbg

Okay thank you so much for helping me :D

Friday, June 22nd, 2012 AT 1:56 AM