ERROR CODE 72

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee

mdavey001

January, 31, 2014 AT 1:51 AM

My wife just got an error code 72 (Catalyst efficiency below required level) in her 1996 Jeep Cherokee. Is it safe for her to make the return trip back home, about 30 kilometers--20 miles? Thank-you in advance.

knowledge is power

January, 31, 2014 AT 4:19 AM

Yes its safe but she may experience odd behavior. 9 times out of ten youll need to replace the catalytic converter

mdavey001

Thank-you for your response. Much appreciated.

From the info that I've been able to search, if it's the catalytic converter and not the sensor, the Jeep may stall and not start. Is this a possibility?

knowledge is power

It is possible. Youll need to address it but its not really unsafe. I only meant to say don't get a tow truck. If the cats are bad you will notice decreased performance like sluggish, puttery, or poor idle

mdavey001

She's just very nervous about driving back home tomorrow. I asked her to start the truck a couple of times and hold the accelerator down 5-10 seconds several time during idling for about 10 minutes. The times she did this all was normal, but the Check Engine light is remaining on.

I appreciate your responses. Thank-you very much.

knowledge is power

Youre welcome sounds to me like she'll be fie to get home at least

Catalytic Converter Replacement Volkswagen