HOW TO CHANGE AN OIL PUMP? ENGINE HAS A STUTTER AND WONT START WHEN HOT AND OIL PRESSURE GAGUE SHOWS 0.

1996 Jeep Cherokee

Gspahn

February, 28, 2012 AT 5:38 PM

Im guessing its an oil pump and screen issue? I removed the oil and oil pan bolts and raised the frame letting the front tires hang but still dont have room to remove the oil pan. Do I need to remove the transmission or raise the motor. Maybe slide the front axle forward?

February, 28, 2012 AT 5:43 PM

Im guessing its an oil pump and screen issue? Check the oil pressure with a mechanical gauge to rule out the oil pump and engine bearings-start here

Gspahn

February, 28, 2012 AT 5:49 PM

Thank you razmataz. So I should put everything back together, put oil back in and then get a gague. If I find out I need to remove the oil pan again, do I have to raise the motor, move the axle or drop the transmission to get it out?

February, 28, 2012 AT 6:07 PM

For what engine?

Gspahn

February, 28, 2012 AT 8:13 PM

Its a straight 6. 400

February, 28, 2012 AT 8:19 PM

4.0 liter

OIL PAN

Removal
Disconnect negative battery cable. Raise and support vehicle at side sills. Drain engine oil. Disconnect exhaust pipe at exhaust manifold. Disconnect exhaust hanger at catalytic converter. Lower exhaust pipe. Remove starter. Remove flywheel access cover.
Position jackstand and a wood block directly under vibration damper. Remove through bolts from engine mounts. Raise engine enough to remove oil pan. Remove oil pan retaining bolts. Remove oil pan by sliding it to rear.
Installation
Ensure all gasket surfaces are clean. Fabricate 4 alignment dowels from 1/4"-20 x 1 1/2" bolts. Cut heads off bolts and cut slot in end of bolts to allow removal with screwdriver. Install 2 dowels in timing cover and 2 dowels in block. Slide gasket over dowels into position against block and timing cover.
Install oil pan with enough bolts to hold pan in place. Remove alignment dowels. Install remaining oil pan bolts and tighten to specification. See TORQUE SPECIFICATIONS table. To complete installation, reverse removal procedure. Fill crankcase. Start engine. Check for leaks.

Gspahn

February, 28, 2012 AT 8:21 PM

Thank you for all your help rasmataz.

February, 28, 2012 AT 8:42 PM

Your welcome

Oil Change & Filter Chevrolet Equinox
Engine Oil Change and Filter BMW X5
Engine Oil Change and Filter Mercedes
Oil Change/Filter Replacement Hyundai Sonata
Engine Oil Change and Filter Ford Mustang
Oil Change and Filter Dodge Nitro